Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Too Many Opportunities

We had a fascinating discussion with a successful executive recently. He is planning on ‘retiring’ from his corporate job this summer. His networking has provided a plethora of opportunities. He could work for a private equity firm, venture capitalist, or serve as a professional board member. All hold some level of interest.

When asked what he really wants to do, he admitted that he hasn’t spent the time soul searching what fits best for him. In other words, he hasn’t answered some basic questions: How many hours do I want to work each week? How much flexibility do I want in my schedule? What work excites me most at this life stage? Where do I want to work from? What work fits with my values?

Opportunities without direction leads to confusion. Spending time understanding what ‘fits best’ for you will be time well spent. The best opportunity is one that meets your changing needs for life after 50!

No comments: